Wednesday, February 22, 2012

39 Weeks- Still Pregnant...

Well I was sincerely hoping not to make it to this week and have our little boy here by now, but he has other plans I guess. Not much to report this week, just a lot of waiting around. We are officially 7 days away from the official due date and so far it looks like Roxas is staying pretty darn comfy in there with no plans to grace us with his presence in the immediate future.

Sometimes I feel as if I just know labor is coming really soon. I can feel his head is really low down and it often causes me quite a bit of pain when his head presses down but that HAS to be a good thing right? It just has to mean progress is being made right? Nope. Doesn't mean a darn thing. If there is one thing I have learned in all this it is when it comes to labor everything means absolutely nothing until the baby is crowning. You can be 3cm dilated and 85% effaced but not have the baby for weeks...or you could be perfectly normal and have the baby in the next 24 hours. I ran across another blogger's analogy and thought it was perfect. Waiting for labor to begin is kind of like going through the 5 stages of grief:

-Denial: "Nope, this baby is coming very soon, I just know it!"
-Anger: "Dear baby, I love you and all but...get out of there! Why on Earth am I still pregnant!? How dare that woman parade her new baby in front of me- Jerk!"
-Bargaining: "Please, Please, Please come out...I'll buy you anything you want if you do- your own Xbox, candy, heck I will let you have soda every day. I will do anything, just please come out of there already!"
-Depression: "I will be pregnant forever. There is no end in sight, nothing works and all those people who say it will be over soon are full of it."
-Acceptance: "I give up. He's coming when he wants to and there is nothing I can do about it."

I am officially on maternity leave, mostly because I seem to be fighting a really nasty bug that is hiding up in my sinuses at the moment and attempting to move into my chest as well. I have a cough that won't quit and a very stuffy nose so I am pretty useless at the moment. Being off work has left me with one major hobby...waiting for labor. It would really help if I knew what I was waiting for too. I have no idea what the heck it is I'm supposed to be waiting for. I know something like only 1 in 3 women have their water break first but I've talked to about 6 different women who all started off with the water breaking...so am I waiting to become the hoover dam? or am I waiting to feel contractions? and if it's contractions how will I know when they are real because I've been having them all the time. It's like somebody telling you a backsund is coming to get you...but you have no idea what a backsund is, what it looks like or when it will show up. Kudos if you get the reference as to what a backsund is (it involves a recently released Disney movie).

Like I said, waiting for labor is my main hobby now. I have been trying just about everything in the world to coax Roxas into making his grand entrance soon. So far nothing works. Nothing. I even made the famous "Scalini's Eggplant Parmesan" that is rumored to have put well over 300 ladies into labor. The only thing I have gotten from it was tired feet after 3 hours of cooking and the knowledge that I still hate eggplant no matter how many times I shovel it into my face. I go on walks every day which usually give me some mild contractions but they die down quickly. Today my mom treated me to a nice pedicure complete with foot and leg massage where the nice lady rubbed extra hard on the acupressure spots that are supposed to help start labor. I also got my hair done, so now would be a wonderful time to go into labor, what with my hair looking all styled and toes freshly painted! (hint hint Roxas!) I have kind of reached the point of acceptance where I have come to terms with the fact that he may not be here for another 3 weeks...and that thought doesn't sit well with my impatient self. I keep bouncing back and forth between thinking "it could happen any minute...it could happen in the next 5 minutes" and "it's never going to happen, they are going to end up inducing me and these next three weeks are going to be miserable!" It's a bit of an emotional roller coaster to say the least. Nobody ever tells you the last 2-3 weeks of pregnancy are always the hardest. Everybody tells me to relax and rest up since I won't get this kind of time when he is here and believe me- I understand that on a logical level- but the other part of me just wants this suspense and waiting to be over!

So, next Wednesday is the official due date...and until then...good grief I hope it's sooner...

No comments:

Post a Comment