Wednesday, March 13, 2013

20 Weeks- Halfway There!



     Twenty weeks today...twenty...out of forty. We are halfway there and I can't believe it. I can't help but think back to twenty weeks with Roxas and it felt like such a huge milestone to hit and it's no different with Lucy. This morning Lucy was particuarly awake and kicking quite a bit. As I sat there looking at my belly jump and pop it was a moment that made me feel so much more connected to our daughter. It's incredibly easy to forget about what is really going on inside of me, but every now and then I have moments like this one that I can only describe as feeling like everything else in the world stops for a second and it's just us.
    
Something kind of funny about having babies is how you forget things. I totally get the part where you forget how sucktacular labor is. There is a very good reason for that. I'm sure if my brain could actually bring up the physical feeling of labor again I would really think twice about having more children. What is weird to me is how you forget what being pregnant is like. Sure I can look at pictures of myself, even video, while I was pregnant with Roxas but I can't seem to conjure up the memories of what it actually felt like after he was born. I couldn't remember what my belly felt like, I couldn't remember what kicks felt like, I just couldn't seem to remember the exact feelings. Then, the first time I felt a flutter I remembered. The first good kicks and I remembered. Seeing my growing belly every day...and I remember. Pregnancy is so unique in that it can only truly be experienced in that moment and only then, not after. It's even more precious to me now that I know in 20 weeks I won't be able to remember exactly what it felt like.

     Lucy is a growing girl possibly weighing a full pound now (Roxas was 1.2lbs at this time!) She is about 10in long and swallowing the aminiotic fluid around her even more often. All that amniotic fluid is helping her make meconium...I'm so excited. If you have ever experienced the horror that is meconium you get the sarcasm there. Blek. The fundus (top of the uterus) is now about level with my belly button and she has finally decided to move up a little so her kicks aren't so low and thus easier to feel. Of course I feel her kick from the outside all the time, but the second I try to get Kenny to feel her...she stops. Something I read and found very interesting was that babies at this stage actually start developing noticeable sleeping positions. Some babies will sleep curled up, chin to chest and others will sleep stretched out. All I know is Lucy is very awake at certain times of the day...particularly when I'm trying to go to bed but she is also pretty awake in the mornings and late afternoons as well. From this time on she will mostly just be growing, gaining weight and perfecting reflexes.

    Speaking of gaining weight...I'm still weighing in at less than my pre-pregnancy weight. I lost lot of weight in the beginning and I've only managed to get about 2lbs of it back. I still have quite a bit of time left to get some steady weight gain going on though. My body is already starting some of the great changes mommies get to experience. I found a new stretch mark this morning, plus my hands and ankles are starting to swell but hey...that's what it's all about right? Ha. It's all part of the fun. I'm developing the classic waddle, especially if my hips and back are hurting me.

    There isn't too much else new going on. Roxas is getting even better at walking, taking more and more steps each day. School is crazy as always, but there are only a few more weeks left which is very exciting. Of course I don't know what I'm going to do with myself then! Probably obsess and sew a lot!

Until next time...

    

No comments:

Post a Comment