Wednesday, March 6, 2013

19 Weeks- Mango Time!


     19 weeks today, almost halfway and in just another month we will have reached the point of viability. Time just seems to pass right by without stopping to say hello. I must say though having school and Roxas to distract me has proven helpful. I'm slightly less obsessed about baby stuff and I'm finding it makes the time go by quicker. I know once school is out for summer I will have a decent enough amount of time to get things in order for Lucy. One advantage of having a second child is...all the baby stuff is still here! In a pinch we could bring home a newborn right now and be alright. Of course that won't stop me from spending a good chunk of my summer making pink blankies, and drooling over all the cute girly stuff I can find.

     I can't wait to spend some time with Roxas before Lucy arrives too. I have no idea how he will react to having a little sister who needs mom a lot. I'm hoping it goes well, but essentially we're winging it. Some of  the unknown factor is gone since we've been through a lot of the basics but incorporating a newborn into a house with a toddler (oh boy I can't believe he's a toddler now!!) is going to be a whole new one for us. I figure, we survived one kid...we can survive two. Right? Yeeeeeaaaahhhhh. We'll see.

     Anyways, little Lucy is developing her sucking reflex and her coordination is improving by the second. She is roughly the size of a mango, zeroing in on gaining her first pound. Her arms and legs are finally in their correct proportions, with neurons connecting her brain and muscles to orchestrate some complex movements. She is taking all those neurons for a thorough test drive with some of the acrobatics I feel in there. At our doctors appointment last week the nurse was quite impressed at how hard she kicked the doppler off my belly. She also proceeded to throw a fit for two or three minutes after being annoyed by the doppler. Vernix is starting to coat her skin as a water protectant for the next four-ish months. Another connection those neurons are making is to the senses. Her sense of smell, taste, touch, hearing, vision are all being honed to perfection right now, and if she plans to have hair on her birthday, it is beginning to sprout right about now.

     We did have a doctor appointment this past week and the doc was happy with everything. She said everything I had been feeling was normal, but not to be ignored either. She just wants me to keep tabs on it and monitor for any worsening symptoms. I went to have my blood drawn for some screening tests too. I don't know why but I'm always a little nervous about these screening tests, but I'm sure everything will be great with her. I did finally manage to make the numbers on the scale go higher, but I'm still under my pre-pregnancy weight. I was a little worried I was going to gain a ton more weight with a second baby (which is common) but it's looking like my weight is about on par with the first. I hope it comes off as easily too. A girl can dream. Second trimester has been a small and somewhat disappointing relief from my first trimester symptoms. I still get sick, I'm still exhausted, and even though my emotions are slightly more under control, it's still a roller coaster at times. I really hope things can calm down more as the weeks drag on. This time until about 33/34 weeks is probably my favorite time of pregnancy. The belly is big enough to actually look pregnant rather than fat, I get to feel her kicking and rolling, plus Kenny gets to feel her kicks on rare occasions. It only gets better from here!

     Not much else to report for now. Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment