Wednesday, December 21, 2011

30 Weeks...Holy Crow

We are finally in the last 10 weeks! I can't wait until we actually get to hold and cuddle on our boy. At 37 weeks we are considered term and technically he could come anytime after then. I'm excited to have him but part of me is still reserved too. It really hasn't set in that we are going to have a tiny human baby to look after in just 10 weeks. I know, I know, you would think that the giant belly might give me a clue but really it's hard to grasp that there is a baby in there and not just some crazy octopus. Although if I did have a crazy octopus in my belly we'd have bigger things to worry about. What I am trying to say here is it's hard to connect what I see on the ultrasound to what I feel in my belly, and I doubt it will feel real until they put him on my chest and I see him for the first time.

Anyways, he is really growing fast weighing in at around 3lbs and around 16in long. He is almost as long as he will be at birth. I was 22in long (and over 9lbs) when I was born...I'm kind of hoping he is a bit smaller than I was but somehow I don't think he will be a small baby. His brain is really developing at this point, and getting all wrinkly. Those characteristic wrinkles and folds in our brains extend the actual surface area of the brain, thus allowing for more and more neurological growth! I guess I should start reading some textbooks aloud for him. Something else kind of cool (or warm) with his brain is it has now taken over his temperature control. His bone marrow has also taken control of erythropoiesis (I like that word, always have, I don't know why) which is the production of red blood cells which his spleen had previously been doing. He's really gearing up for the outside world.

As for me? Well I'm starting to get a bit more cranky about all this. I feel awful for complaining, I even feel like I shouldn't complain at all sometimes. After all some women would kill to be in my shoes and here I am whining about it. I am very grateful that I get to experience all of this, the good-bad-and ugly, but it really does get to you eventually. When you just can't get comfortable whether it's your back killing you or the baby ramming elbows into you it's just not very fun. Try having somebody ram you in the liver repeatedly and then smile through it all. Ok, pity party over.

The baby shower is coming up fast, in just 25 days! I am really excited to see all of my friends-especially some of those I haven't seen in too long. Our anniversary is also coming up fast, and it coincidentally marks 37 weeks for us. I can't believe we have been married for nearly 3 years. Seems like just a few months ago we got back from our honeymoon. Unfortunately I have been forbidden to go to Disneyland like we usually do for our anniversary so we will have a little "stay-cation" instead. I was really hoping to waddle around D-land enough to go into labor there...gosh that would be so COOL! I know I need help. Instead we are going to stay in the hotel room that we did the first night we were married and just enjoy our day together as a couple rather than the family we will shortly become. I'm starting to get really excited for all the things coming up in the very near future. I know it will be here before I know it but patience has never been my strong suit when it comes to waiting!

Until next week...Merry Christmas!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment