Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Trimester Limbo-12 weeks!



We've made it to the magical milestone of 12 weeks! I can breathe a sigh of relief now since the risk of miscarriage has now gone down dramatically. 12 weeks also marks the start of what I am calling "trimester limbo". It seems everybody has their own opinion on when the first trimester ends and the second begins. Even my doctor said somewhere between 12 and 14 weeks. So, for the sake of my sanity we are going to say 13 weeks is the end of the first trimester and week 14 starts off the second. So there.

So, what's up with baby these days? Munchkin is the size of a large plum now, and looking very human! Remember those tiny fingernail beds that were forming last time? Now there are adorable tiny fingernails formed on perfect, tiny fingers. Those fingers will start to open and close this week, those cute toes will also start curling and flexing. Kiddo's brain is getting a work out this week as reflexes begin to develop and synapses are rapidly forming. Seems like some of my brain cells have been "borrowed" for this purpose...which may explain why I need post it notes to remember my pants everyday. Baby is moving around much more now, and reacts to being prodded-particularly with a doppler probe. Baby also apparently thinks mommy's tailbone is a wonderful resting spot on some days, which can cause me to yelp every time I have to sit down or get up.

So, what's up with mom these days? I'm feeling good, no more sick feeling although I'd still appreciate all barbecue/beef being banned from my immediate sniffing range. I am very tired though, and impromptu naps are not unheard of. Although I guess when you are busy building new brain synapses not much energy is left over. Overall things are going great. I still don't "feel" pregnant yet, just more like I'm fighting off a cold or something. I am so excited to get to the "fun" parts like feeling the baby move and getting a real bump (not just bloat and pudge). We are getting super excited for the gender scan coming up in September, only 23 days away!! and speaking of countdowns there are only 196 days left until our due date! Seems like February will never get here but I know it will be before I know it. We have a lot of things going on in the next few months, a trip to Disneyland in October and what is sure to be a fantastic Christmas.

Well that's all for this week's update, we will see you next Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment