Wednesday, January 30, 2013

14 Weeks- Officially Starting 2nd Trimester

     Well, we've made it to the "official" second trimester. The eyes are beginning to move, and the arms and legs can now flex. Hands will soon open and close into fists, and such movements as putting the hands to the mouth are happening more frequently. The organs of taste and smell are developing. Also, the skin is starting to become thicker and hair follicles are appearing just below the skin surface. Little blip is now about the size of a lemon (3 1/2 inches) and weighs about 1 1/2 ounces.

     The idea that we are going to be the parents of two hasn't really sunk in. Maybe it's because we aren't going through all this for the first time so it's kind of old hat but I'm not nearly as anxious and overly into it as I was with Roxas. It could also be the ridiculously full schedule I have with school. They always say your subsequent kids aren't fussed over nearly as much as your first and despite my determination to defy that...well...it's turning out to be pretty true. This is proving to be a very mellow and relaxed (as relaxed as a 2nd semester nursing student can be) pregnancy. I'm pretty well convinced this little blip is going to be arriving late too, so just to make myself feel better I'm giving myself a new due date of August 12th. Something I learned the hard way last time was putting WAY too much importance on that due date. It made me an emotional wreck. So this time I'm learning from my mistakes and going for way late instead of way early this time! Hopefully I will be proved wrong, but if not at least I won't feel so let down and frustrated when that date comes and goes.

     I'm feeling pretty good. The only issues I have are an ever present stuffy nose (thanks pregnancy induced rhinitis!) and I'm dead tired all the time. Again...school might have something to do with that. I'm starting to get the weird stares that look like "Is she pregnant? or just pudgy?" I have a lot of fun watching them try to figure it out. But the bump is coming along nicely, I definitely feel bigger this time around. I still feel the baby move every couple of days. The movements are for sure getting stronger but they are still pretty weak. I enjoy every second I get of this feeling, it's one of the best in the world. We go to Las Vegas this weekend to find out if we are having a boy or a girl. Honestly I'm really excited but really nervous too. I want to know....but then I don't. I don't make it a secret that I really want another boy. I'd love a girl too of course, but if I could pick I would. Part of it is so I can reuse a lot of the same stuff from Roxas, especially clothes since we have a ton of them he never even got to wear! Plus, we all know if I were to have a girl...oh good grief would their be a lot of pink things happening. A LOT. It's probably just the fact that I've been in school more than at home the past two days (sleeping included) and I'm unbelievably exhausted but I'm not chomping at the bit for the weekend.

     Yeah, this whole pregnant while in nursing school thing is a little more than I thought it would be. Maybe I just convinced myself it would be fine, and I honestly don't know how much the pregnancy actually affects me but it's been rough. The general opinion is that this semester is the worst so if I can just make it through this I will be ok. Third semester scares me a little bit seeing as we will have a 3 or 4 week old baby at the time school starts again (I'm crazy...yes I know.) The bright side is I have a super family who is always there for me and helps out whenever I need them. I may put them to the ultimate test come this fall. 

     Well, that's all I've got for now. I have a cranky Roxas and a ton of homework to be doing so until Saturday...

1 comment: