Thursday, February 14, 2013

16 Weeks- Threatened

     We are now in week 16, crazy to think that in only four more weeks we will be half way done.
Lucy is growing fast, she is about 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces roughly the size of an avocado. She is getting ready for a massive growth spurt in the next few weeks, she will double her weight. One of the biggest changes is her hearing! She can now hear my voice as well as the sounds coming from the outside. Her legs are developing more and her backbone is getting stronger too. This means her head is becoming more and more erect. Eyebrows, eyelashes and hair are all starting to form. Her little heart is pumping a whopping 25 quarts of blood a day and features are beginning to settle into their final places.This past day or two I've been able to feel her much, much, more. She rolls and punches and kicks all the time now. Soda really gets her going but I try not to use that trick too often. I can't wait to be able to feel and see those big, fun kicks. I used to love watching my belly roll and pop all over.

     So, you might have noticed the blog is a day late. Very unusual for me I know. On Monday I began having some braxton hicks like contractions. They didn't hurt but they were uncomfortable. After consulting with Dr. Google and my small library of pregnancy books I determined these were normal and tried not to worry about them. Then they got more frequent, and started to hurt. Again, Dr. Google and the books said it was fine. After the third day they were hurting more, happening much more often. I called the doctor who gave me an appointment for the next day [today] and said if they get worse or I start bleeding to go to the ER. Naturally, because it's just the way my day was yesterday, I had some light spotting. After hours in the ER, tons of blood tests, and an ultrasound the doctor diagnosed me as a threatened miscarriage but she said everything looked OK with Lucy and the bleeding had stopped. I'm still having the contractions but it looks like everything is fine for now. The medically rational part of me knows all of this is just normal happenings with a second baby and I need to just chill out about it, but the freaked out mom in my head won't let her get a word in. I know the doctor is probably going to tell me I'm just making a mountain out of a mole hill so I'm trying not to let myself worry about it and just enjoy this time as much as I can.

That's pretty much all there is for this week. Until next time...


1 comment: