Friday, January 31, 2014

6 Months Went by WAY too Fast

     I refuse to believe the calendar is right...Lucy can't be 6 months old. It's just not possible. She was just born a few weeks ago it seems. As much as I wish the calendar was wrong, it's not, and my little princess is growing up!
     We are halfway through our first year with two under two and so far it's been quite the experience with many new challenges. Having two little ones is absolutely nothing like I thought it would be. Lucy has been such a different baby than Roxas it can be hard to believe they share the same genes at times.
     Thankfully I think Lucy is starting to get a little bit better about being a little bit less attached to me. Oh, she is still firmly Velcroed to my side most of the day but there are times when it seems she is becoming slightly less so. She will actually reach out for other people and be somewhat content being held by others, as long as I am within sight of course. She is even sleeping in her own room now! Well...most of the night. Truthfully I find it is a little harder on me than her. I miss snuggling up with her all night. She starts looking sleepy so I feed her, she drifts off, and then I lay her down in her crib. She pretty much always wakes up but after about two or three minutes she drifts back to sleep and stays that way until about 6am. It's been very nice getting a little more sleep but truthfully that's more so because I am not staying up until 4am every night doing random stuff like cleaning or crochet.
     Roxas and her have really become your typical brother and sister. He loves bringing her things and is always making sure she isn't left out of the fun. He's a sweet brother and I know he will be the best protective big bro ever. They have their squabbles over who gets to hold the snack cup or who gets what toy every once in awhile but those are quickly fixed and they both move on. I savor the ease of quelling these little tiffs now because I know it's going to get worse! I can already hear the cries of "But MOOOOOOOMMMMMM! He's touching my stuff!!" or "Get out of my room Lucy!!!".
     Both of the kids have been just growing like little weeds. I swear I can hear them growing. Roxas will be two in just about a month! Holy cow did that year fly by. He's such a little character too. He charms all the ladies he meets, and just melts hearts wherever he goes. He talks NON-STOP too. I understand about 40% of what he says and the rest...well it's a total mystery but whatever he is saying it's apparently very important to him. Lucy is almost able to sit all by herself, she still falls over after a few seconds but she's doing really great at it. I swore she was getting her first tooth last month but she's still sporting an adorably gummy smile with no teeth in sight. She loves to be on the move and I know when she's mobile I will really have to watch out because she will be into everything! Wiggleworm is her nickname and for good reason! She is never sitting still. She twists and turns and tries to hang upside down when I'm holding her. Honestly a greased up piglet would be easier to hold onto. She also has "go-go-gadget" arms, I am amazed at the things she can reach. It's almost like she sprouts extra limbs. Of course she immediately tries to eat whatever she grabs too. Her favorite thing to try and eat is paper, she LOVES paper! Her check up is on Wednesday so I'm excited to see how much she has grown. I'm sure it's a lot!
      Since she is 6 months old now we have officially reached the age when it's "OK" in my opinion to introduce solid foods. She has had little tastes of this and that but we haven't given her "real" food yet. I'm really in no hurry to do it either. Partly since we do cloth diapers and you don't have to rinse off exclusively breastfed poo! The other part is I'm paranoid about killing off my milk supply. With Roxas I made the distinct mistake of feeding him so much solids that he really backed off nursing and then once I got pregnant with Lucy it was curtains for our breastfeeding relationship.  This time I have learned from my mistakes, and we will be making sure solid foods are just more snacks as opposed to the main course for Lucy. I also have absolutely no intentions of making Lucy a big sister any time soon, so that element will be out of the picture this time too. I'm sure she will have a blast with her first foods though. There will be plenty of pictures for sure!
     Overall it's been a wonderful 6 months and I can't wait to see what the next 6 months bring. I started school again and it's one killer schedule. Bless my family who has agreed to be flat out abused and watch the little rascals for me while I go to school. Especially those 12 hour shifts, oy. Plus, because I enjoy losing my mind I interviewed (and hopefully landed!) an extern position at the hospital here. That will mean working two extra 12 hour shifts each week. On the very, very, bright side of that though: I get paid for it!!! Unlike the time I'm at the hospital for clinical duty through school. It will be rough having such a full schedule but the experience of it all is absolutely priceless. The extra cash will really help alleviate some of the heavy financial burden on our family too.
     It's a bittersweet milestone to be arriving at. I wish she would slow down the growing part but I am happy she is growing up to be a healthy little munchkin. I will be happy to leave the frustrations of babyhood behind but sad to also leave the little joys of it too. There is a lot going on in these next few months. Between school, the externship and Roxas turning 2 it will be a crazy year. Oh, and our 5 year wedding anniversary is next week too! It seems like just a few years but this May marks a full decade of us being together.  I really want to go to Disneyland for that milestone but we will have to see what kind of funds we have for it.
     Until next time, I will be working furiously on my mountains of school work and attempting to herd cats (also known as keep the kids from maiming themselves.)




    

No comments:

Post a Comment