Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Learning Curve

So it's been one week since I drank the kool-aid and joined my brothers crossfit gym (Havasu Crossfit). I absolutely love it. I love the challenge both mental and physical. I love the high that comes from exercise and I love that I'm making my body healthier and stronger.

The unique thing about crossfit is the challenge it issues. Physically it is demanding, and you challenge your body to work like it has never worked before. Its tough but after your done you feel so good...and sore but it's a good sore. Mentally it will push you to your limits and make you explore parts of your mind you've never been in.

For me the challenge to do better, and achieve more keeps me coming back for more and more. Physically I'm not in that great of shape. I never really exercised. Like EVER. So I'm starting out with a pretty weak body but that just means I have a ton of room for improvement right? Actually before my first workout I thought I wasn't too terribly out of shape. I was wrong, very, very wrong. It kicked my butt and knocked my ego down a few levels. Of course that just makes me want to work even harder.

Mentally I've been challenged to push past the idea of "I can't"  and keep going. My ego has been good and properly deflated but that's a good thing. Realizing where you really are is crucial.

Last night was tough for me. Coming off the heels of what I thought was a less than stellar workout the previous night I came in with huge determination. The workout involved lunges and ring dips (mine were modified but they still suck) and at first I thought I was going to crush it. I was going to own that WOD. Oh boy was I wrong. Almost halfway through my legs started to shake but I pushed and kept going. Shortly after the shaking started my muscles couldn't take it anymore. They were shaking and cramping so badly I couldn't stand on them. They just wouldn't support my body. I had to stop. I hated stopping. I wanted to push through and get up but when I did I just fell over like a baby calf. I was furious with myself. I was angry my body wouldn't behave the way I wanted. It's good that my brother made me stop or I probably would have really hurt myself.

I realized something today though. Yesterday I did the worst thing I could have done...I drank very little water and I had two diet Dr. peppers. I sabotaged my own body. I paid for it dearly.

It is all a learning curve. Learning what your body can safely be pushed to, and learning how to give your body the best possible chance at success.

We have been doing much better about eating. Not perfect but for once our fridge is full of meats, fruits and veggies instead of our freezer being full of frozen meals, and a pantry stuffed with boxed processed food. There are still some junky things like pasta (I don't think I can ever cut out pasta) and some jarred things like sauces, but hey...baby steps right?

Last night really made me realize I can't be the diet soda drinking, junk food junkie I am and expect my body to do what I push it to do. It will give out. Like a car with sugar in its gas tank.

So for only having one week under my belt I have learned so much and can't wait to get back out there and do better. I do have a new rule: no more soda on workout days, and no more than 2 on rest days. I want to work on making it none but for now it's an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment