Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Getting Healthy- The Crossfit Bug

Little disclaimer: I posted this from my phone so I apologize if I miss any typos.

So tonight I had a crazy experience. I did my first crossfit workout. My oldest brother started our local crossfit gym and its exploded in this town. This was 2 years ago. Now normally I'm all about the not exercising thing. My favorite joke was that I was allergic to exercise. It made me all sweaty and out of breath. After going to the sic fit competition a few weeks ago and seeing the crossfit family competing I realized I wanted that. I wanted to look in the mirror and be really happy with what I saw, not just ok. I wanted to push myself and challenge myself. So I finally did it. I went and joined my brother's crazy cult. I love it.

We had an orientation tonight and although I'm horrendously unbalanced and can't do a proper squat without help my brothers were great at right away making sure I was being safe but still working my butt off. Literally. Kenny even joined with me! It was a lot of fun getting to do this as a couple and I'm proud of his accomplishments just in tonight's work out. We did one workout and even though it lasted less than 8 minutes...I was pretty sure I was going to die. At the very least I was sure I would throw up. Later, when I got home though I felt great, almost like being high. All those endorphins had really kicked in. It was awesome and I can't wait to torture myself some more.

    I'm really wanting to finally get our family healthy. My brother nailed it tonight when he said it was about improving your quality of life. I'm young now but I will someday get old and I know that by building the best foundation I can now I will have a much easier time in old age. I want to be that crazy grandma who is running marathons with her kids. I don't want to idly sit by and watch my body breakdown. So that's why I'm trying to change our lives. I'm starting to actually cook meals, like...nothing coming from a prepackaged mix or box. Thanks to bountiful baskets I'm able to incorporate so much more fruits and veggies into our meals without spending a small fortune. Now all I have to do is buy meat and dairy and voila, food! I used to think eating healthy was too expensive for us but as long as I'm careful and shop good sales...it's proving to be cheaper! Imagine that.

I'm very excited about all these new changes we are making as a family. I can't wait to see the results from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment